Sunday, May 26, 2013

I suck at blogging

I have decided that I suck as a blogger.  I don't make the time to sit and blog on a regular basis or an a schedule.  I accept that.

That being said, perhaps I am the best type of blogger there is.  You don't get too many updates or notices to read my latest find or funny comment.  I check in with you now and then to let you know what has happened since the last time I wrote. 

Here you go, this is the latest:  Below is a copy of something I hope to get in the local paper soon:

MARICRUZ ZEPEDA-WILSON  EMBARKS ON LIFE-CHANGING JOURNEY IN FIGHT TO END BREAST CANCER
DHS Graduate to Walk 60 Miles Over Three Days


Douglas, AZ – May 27, 2013 – From a young age, I witnessed how cancer can ravage the body.  On MY tenth birthday,my godfather passed away of cancer.  Over the years, I have lost four other family members to different cancers.  Jessie Villegas,my sister and also a DHS graduate, is the only one in the family that has survived a cancer diagnosis.  Although I have participated in Relay For Life several times, I have wanted to participate in the 3-Day for a couple of years, but lacked the confidence and courage to do so.  This year I have committed to walk 60 miles in the Susan G. Komen Phoenix 3-Day along with thousands of other women and men who are walking to make a personal difference in the fight to end breast cancer.  

I have already embarked on a physical and emotional journey in preparing for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day®. Like other Komen 3-Day participants, I will spend months training for the event’s physical demands and fundraising at least $2,300 to help fund innovative breast cancer research, scientific programs and community outreach programs. All of the participants’ dedication and preparation culminates by walking 60 miles over the course of three days.

The Susan G. Komen 3-Day is the boldest breast cancer event of its kind, with equally bold commitments. Participants are asked to walk farther and raise more money than any other event. The choice to participate was not easy for me.  I felt intimidated by the distance and the large fundraising goal.  I wanted to walk the 3-day last year, but had a fear of failure in both the fundraising aspect and the physical challenge of walking 60 miles.  I spent the last year working on endurance and my overall health.  When it came time to register for the 2013 walk I hesitated.  However, the more I thought about my family and what all cancer patients have to endure, I realized that this walk will be nothing in comparison.  I hope to be a means to the end of breast cancer for all women, and even men who can also become victims of this disease.

I will be holding a yard sale on June 7th and 8th to raise funds for the organization.  I have raised just over half the required amount, without which I will not be eligible to participate.  I am seeking donations of unwanted items as well as shoppers.  The sale will be held at 1500 Mission Dr.  You can contact me about donations of items at maricruzw@gmail.com.  Some of the items that I will be selling are athletic bags that were donated by Amy Dodson, a cancer survivor who has served as inspiration and a supporter of my endeavor.  Amy Dodson is a world class athlete who teaches with me.  She recently ran the Kona Iron Man and placed first in her age group.  Dodson lost a leg and a lung to cancer.  If Amy can run an Iron Man with one leg and one lung, then I can walk 60 miles over three days with two legs and two lungs.

The Susan G. Komen Phoenix 3-Day is a place in a world where differences are embraced, bonds are formed, and every moment—from the Opening Ceremony on Friday Morning, November 8,  to Closing Ceremony on Sunday afternoon, November 10—is full of meaning, emotion and celebration. Walkers cover about 20 miles a day with hundreds of dedicated volunteers and crew members supporting the walkers through the three-day journey.

Each year, more than 200,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and nearly 2,000 cases are diagnosed in men in the U.S. To help me reach my goal of a world without breast cancer, make a donation by visiting http://www.the3day.org/site/TR?px=6471559&fr_id=1811&pg=personal.  To learn how to participate or volunteer with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, visit The3Day.org or call 800-996-3DAY for more information.

About the Susan G. Komen 3-Day®
The Susan G. Komen 3-Day® is a 60-mile walk for women and men who want to be a part of something bigger – ending breast cancer forever. Participants raise a minimum of $2,300 and walk an average of 20 miles a day for three consecutive days, educating tens of thousands of people about breast health and raising funds to help support breast cancer research and community outreach programs. With every step, Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has helped make significant progress in the fight against breast cancer thanks to events like the Komen 3-Day. Seventy-five percent of the net proceeds raised by the Susan G. Komen 3-Day help support Komen’s Research and Training Grant Program and large public health outreach programs for women and men facing breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent helps fund local community and Affiliate support and outreach programs. Please visit www.The3Day.org or call 800-996-3DAY for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts